Sunday, February 21, 2016

Döner for Love, Döner for Life

This should have been under the article of “Something that I realized after I reached Mannheim”, but considered how important it was for me (and everyone around me during the exchange semester), I think it deserved its own post. Many in America might not know what a Döner is, but I am guessing most of you at least know what a Kebab is. Many will question why as an exchange student in German, why aren’t you introducing the typical German food?
When people think of popular food in German, the answers are always beer, pork, knuckle, currywurst. For most of our general knowledge, we wouldn't expect a Turkish food to be so popular in Germany. Especially in Mannheim, there is a huge ethnic Turkish population means we have Döner shop on everything other blocks in the city (Remember how I talked about Mannheim using the block system for their streets?) According to Google, there are over 25 döner shop in the city of Mannheim (definitely more than the amount of Dunkin Donuts we have in Boston). They each have their own unique ingredients. There are also different form of Döner, such as Döner box and yufka.
Döner is definitely one of the most loved and popular street among the German population in Mannheim. It is definitely worth a try when you reach Mannheim, and make sure you try out different store to find your favourite (For me, it would have to be the City Döner near Mannheim Hauptbahnhof, it opens 23 hours per day).
<- An typical Döner from City Döner of Mannheim

P.s. I think I am not very bias, and I did try Döner from other cities in Germany, but I think Mannheim have one of the best Döner in Germany.
Below is an article from Wall Street Journal regarding on Döner and its effects on the German street food culture (It doesn’t hurt to learn some history about the food, so you can enjoy it even more when you go to Mannheim!)
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304432704577350194262835880

No comments:

Post a Comment